Club Safeguarding Policy
Shepshed Rugby Football Club
- Shepshed Rugby Football Club acknowledges its responsibility to safeguard the welfare of all children involved in Shepshed RFC from harm.
- Shepshed RFC confirms that it adheres to the Rugby Football Union’s Safeguarding Policy and the procedures, practices and guidelines and will endorse and adopt the Policy Statement contained in that document and any successor policy.
- A child is anyone under the age of 18 engaged in any rugby union activity. However, where a 17 year old male player is playing in the adult game it is essential that every reasonable precaution is taken to ensure his safety and wellbeing are protected.
- The Key Principles of the RFU Safeguarding Policy are that:
- The welfare of the child is, and must always be, paramount to any other considerations.
- All participants regardless of age, gender, ability or disability, race, faith, culture, size, shape, language or sexual identity have the right to protection from abuse or harm.
- All allegations or suspicions of abuse, neglect, harm and poor practice will be taken seriously and responded to swiftly, fairly and appropriately.
- Working in partnership with other organisations, statutory agencies, parents, carers, children and young people is essential for the welfare of children.
- Children have a right to expect support, and personal and social development delivered by an appropriately recruited, vetted and managed in relation to their participation in rugby union, whether they are playing, volunteering or officiating in the community or professional areas of the sport.
- Shepshed RFC recognises that all children have the right to participate in sport in a safe, positive and enjoyable environment whilst at the same time being protected from abuse, neglect, harm and poor practice. Shepshed RFC recognises that this is the responsibility of everyone involved, in whatever capacity, at the club.
- Shepshed RFC will implement and comply with the RFU Code of Conduct and the Codes of Conduct for Coaches, Spectators and Officials as appropriate.
- The Club Safeguarding Officer is Siân Alexander (firstname.lastname@example.org) and the Deputy is Nick Farmer (07759076966). If you witness or are aware of an incident where the welfare of a child has been put at risk you must, in the first instance, inform the Club Safeguarding Officer. They will then inform the CB Safeguarding Manager and the RFU Safeguarding Team. If an incident involves the Club Safeguarding Officer you should inform Lee Ralph (Mini’s Coordinator) and either the CB Safeguarding Manager or the RFU Safeguarding Team.
- All members of Shepshed RFC who work with children in Regulated Activity must undertake an RFU Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) check in accordance with RFU Regulation 21.
- Shepshed RFC will ensure that all its members, whether they are coaches, parents, players or officials will comply with the Best Practice Guidance as issued by the RFU. In summary, the following are NOT acceptable and will be treated seriously by the club and may result in disciplinary action being taken by the club, the CB or the RFU:
- Working alone with a child.
- Consuming alcohol whilst responsible for children.
- Providing alcohol to children or allowing its supply.
- Smoking in the presence of children.
- Humiliating children.
- Inappropriate or unnecessary physical contact with a child.
- Participating in, or allowing, contact or physical games with children.
- Having an intimate or sexual relationship with any child developed as a result of being in a ‘position of trust.’
- Making sexually explicit comments or sharing sexually explicit material.
- Shepshed RFC manages the changing facilities and arranges for them to be supervised by two DBS checked adults of the appropriate gender for the players using the facilities. Shepshed RFC ensures that all its coaches, parents, officials and spectators are aware that adults must not change at the same time, using the same facilities as children.
- Shepshed RFC will ensure that its coaches will receive the support and training considered appropriate to their position and role.
- Any events held on Shepshed RFC premises must comply with this Policy and if appropriate a Safeguarding Plan should be discussed and circulated to those affected. Any tours, overseas or domestic, undertaken by Shepshed RFC must comply with the relevant RFU Regulations and Guidance relating to tours.
Contact Details –
Shepshed RFC Safeguarding Officer
Deputy Safeguarding Officer
CB Safeguarding Manager
RFU Safeguarding Team
Signed: Siân ALEXANDER